What kind of doctor should I look for?

Depending on the particular symptoms, a diagnosis of scleroderma may be made by a rheumatologist (a doctor specializing in treatment of rheumatic diseases, including: diseases of the joints, muscles and bones), a general internist, a dermatologist (a doctor who specializes in treating diseases of the skin, hair and nails), an orthopedist (a doctor who treats bone and joint disorders), or a pulmonologist (lung specialist). A diagnosis of scleroderma is based largely on the medical history and findings from a physical exam. To make a diagnosis, a knowledgeable doctor on scleroderma will ask many questions about what has been experienced over time and about any symptoms currently being experienced. These questions might include: Are you having a problem with heartburn or swallowing? Are you often tired or achy? Do your hands turn white in response to anxiety or cold temperatures?

Print E-mail